MacGyver Mommy and the Scorpion

So, the weekend before last, we had a little critter drama. Son was stung three times by a scorpion. It was nerve racking. At first, we weren't sure what was wrong. He was so upset and we couldn't get him to say what happened. Finally, he told us that something bit him.

We were house sitting at the time and so Husband went through the entire family room (where Son and Daughter were playing) and turned everything over. The couches were turned over, the toys were all out and all over the floor. Looking back, it was a pretty humorous sight, but at the time, we were frantic to find out what it was.

Needless to say, we had to call Poison Control. (More drama because all the numbers that the nurse's line gave us were disconnected and not numbers for Poison Control. Finally we reached someone about the same time that Son calmed down, walked into the family room and pointed out the scorpion and told us that's what had stung him. Husband disposed of the scorpion.

Long story short, he was fine. We watched for all the scary symptoms - the ones that you go to the hospital immediately if you see, and we were told that he would get pretty sick, but he didn't. We had to keep an eye on him for a while though. We took him to McDonald's for dinner and that seemed to make it all better.

So, fast forward to this past Tuesday. We are at the same house again, awaiting a repair man, and Son and Daughter and I are in the same family room, eating lunch together. Very casually Son says, "Hey Mom, remember that thing that stung me? Daddy said I should tell you if I see it again, and its right here in my lunch tray."

Seriously! I was pretty calm when he was stung on Saturday, but Tuesday I was freaking out. I hustled the kids into the bathroom (you know because scorpions can't get you if you are in the bathroom) and quickly picked up the tray and ran outside with it. But I couldn't just leave it there. It was down in one of the deep sides of the tray, but I wasn't sure if it could crawl out. They have three dogs, so I didn't want it getting out and stinging them either and so, I had to come up with a plan.

I ran into the kitchen and grabbed the plastic wrap and some clear tape. I wrapped the plastic wrap around the tray over and over until I could barely make out the scorpion. Then, to make sure he didn't get out, I covered the plastic wrap with clear tape.

While the scorpion didn't die (until the man of the house killed it later that night) at least he was out of the way and not able to harm anyone. If only I would have had a toothpick and a piece of gum, I am sure I would have been able do something amazing and eventful, but alas, I was limited in supplies, so I had to settle for the plastic wrap prison.

No comments: