An Interesting Book Choice

So I am going through a classic literature phase. I have no idea what the deal is. I am rereading Les Miserables (one of my all time favorite books) and I have Bram Stoker’s Dracula on deck. I was supposed to read this book for a history class as a freshman, but I didn’t. No surprise there.

So, it is like I lead two lives. The grown up me is reading the classics. The mother me is reading “What to Expect When You Use the Potty” by Heidi Murkoff. I am sure you can just imagine how captivating this book is. Why are we reading this book? Daughter is in the potty training process and this book caught my eye in the library.

I sat down with the kids for the first reading of the book. Be impressed; I did a great job of not cracking up. In fact, I was completely serious as I read the chapter title, “Where do pee-pee and poop come from?” I took a deep breath. I was hoping the worst was over. I was wrong. The next chapter, “Why don’t pee-pee and poop look like food and drink?” That was a tough one. Next was, “What’s a potty?” Totally readable. “How do I know when to go to the potty?” (a conversation starter to be sure) I thought I was in the clear. I turned the page, “Will I wear diapers after I learn to use the potty?” Ah, I was on the home stretch. I can read the rest seriously. Wrong. “Why do I have to wipe after I go to the potty?”

It was there that I started laughing. I had been serious long enough. We had quite a moment; the three of us cracking up on the couch asking each other about wiping. It is never dull at our house.

No comments: