Holy Poop Batman!

Potty training is one of those things that we just can’t get out of. I love when parents say that their kids just decided one day to be potty-trained one day and they just never looked back. Right! If we could just be honest, it doesn’t happen that way.

We have been done potty training for a while now. It was an interesting roller coaster ride. I should clarify; when I say potty trained, I mean he sleeps through the night without a diaper and accidents are VERY infrequent.

I can see how mom’s get confused about when to say their child is potty trained. The first time Son peed on the pot, I called my mom and announced that he was potty trained. She laughed at me for about an hour. The conversation continued, but every once in a while, she would just bust out laughing. I now know what it really means to “potty train.”

And so, in celebration of this, I thought I would share a few stories about our adventures. These are all true stories, no matter how odd and unbelievable they sound. Also, a warning: these stories are not for a weak stomach or someone who is grossed out easily.

Son is in the playroom with Dog. He is in big boy underwear and I call him into the other room. He doesn’t answer. (Never a good sign.) I call again and ask him to please come here. He answers this time, but says that he can’t leave. Interesting. This time, I realize that something is going on and it isn’t going to be pleasant. I had no idea. I walked quietly into the playroom (it is always more interesting to see what your kids are doing before they know you are there). I wish I hadn’t. He had his favorite drumstick (from his drum set) and was sticking it into his underwear. Next thing I know, out comes poop. It gets worse. The dog is sitting there in front of him and he is offering it to her. She is licking it off the drumstick. I know, hideous. The worst part? I stop him and he can’t figure out what the problem is. The whole time he is in the tub, all he can say is, “But Mommy, she liked it. I think she was hungry.”

Another time, early into the potty training, we had some friends over for dinner. All was going well. They have a son about Son’s age and they were playing so nicely. Suddenly, Son runs into the bathroom. We know what this means and try to give him some space. He is in there for a while, and then comes out and announces that he pooped on the pot and everyone should come take a look. (He’s really proud of himself.) We all go into the small bathroom and even our guests are clapping for him and telling him what a good job he did. I have to say, it was a pretty proud moment. Until that night. Husband is putting Son to bed and mentions that he is really proud of him putting poop it the pot. He tells Husband, “I didn’t put poop on the pot.” Husband is confused. He tells Son that he did put poop in the pot. “Remember, we all came into the bathroom and clapped and cheered.” Son tells him, “Actually, I just pooped on the floor. Then, I picked it up and put it in the pot.” Thank goodness we washed his hands that night.

And so, if you are in the midst of this crazy ride called “potty training,” hang in there. You will make it! You will survive! And best of all, the things that are happening to you now, will be funny when it is all over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the name of this! Kids seem to do and say the funniest things. We only have one more kid to do this with. I can't wait to see what happens with her.