The Estimation of the Problem

Dad- This post is just for you. I hate to admit it, especially in writing, on the internet, forever to be seen by others, but . . . . you were right.

If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.

Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Interesting, isn’t it? When you really stop and think about what he is saying. We (okay - - I) have a tendency to blame stress and frustration on all types of external things. But that isn’t really where it comes from. It comes from within me. I am the world’s worst at not being able to let things go. If it bothers me, I end up thinking about it way too much.

And so, it isn’t the issues, it’s me. The issues, I can’t change. There isn’t anything else that I can do to fix them, make them better, or change in terms of the outcome . But, I can change me. I can change the way that I look at things. I can change how much time I spend worrying. I can change my estimation of the problem. I can realize that I have the power to revoke it at any time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree if you feel you have exhausted all efforts to change or fix what you feel is broken. Then all that is left is your perception. A lot of times we remain tormented because we know we could have done more, but gave up instead.

Heather Fiello said...

I over think things too. "Did I do something to make him/her mad at me?" "Was it something that I said?" Just remember that worrying doesn't add one day to your life. If anything it sucks the enjoyment and precious moments from what would otherwise be a wonderful day.