The Journal Dilemma

So last week I went to pick out a new journal for the Momstown project. I did not need a new journal. It probably would have been best to use the journal that I started last time. It would remind me every time I opened it that I can’t quit again. But of course, a new one seemed like a much better idea.

So I went shopping. Barnes and Noble had a large selection of journals and I looked through almost all of them. I knew that I wanted lined pages and obviously, one that would be compatible with my larger handwriting. But to me the most important criteria was the outside cover. I wanted something inspirational without being cheesy; something funny, without being stupid; something spunky without being anti-social. It came down to 2 journals and I went back and forth. They were both “me” but displayed different aspects. And so, I decided on both.

And now for the justification: (because obviously, I didn’t need both)

One is a beautiful blue hardcover with this quote on the front: “Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.” I have deemed this my Momstown journal to record my successes and triumphs. The journal that I will be able to track my progress in and receive encouragement by looking back on how far I have come.

And then, there is the other journal. It’s a soft cover journal with a picture of a woman from the 50’s. (The Donna Reid who vacuums in pearls) She has a white smile with ruby red lips. The caption reads: “high maintenance doesn’t begin to cover it.” I have deemed this the “evil in my heart” journal. All complaining, criticizing, whining, and blaming can be done here.

Interesting, huh? At least I didn’t choose the “medicated and motivated” housewife one!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I haven't even had time to go buy a journal yet, so you're ahead of me x 2. :)

Anonymous said...

You will have to let us know the journal that gets filled up first.

missmaggie said...

I love the evil in my heart journal. i just post all mine on my blog for the world to see. :)

This Real Mommy said...

So far, the score is even. Both journals have been getting equal attention. We will see how long that lasts. I would like to say that one day, I will only write in the nice one - - but come on!